By: Rose O’Brien
7 kms (approx.)
The first part of this walk goes through bushland, particularly beautiful in spring when the wildflowers are blooming. There are fine stands of grass trees along the track.
After leaving the forest, the route follows the streets of Tarragindi and parklands along the upper reaches of Norman Creek. Bruno’s BNE Café, in an old shop on the corner of Cracknell Rd and Laura St, is a nice place to break your walk.
- Start at Griffith Uni Bus Station on Southern Busway
- Walk up the hill on Sports Rd and turn left to join the Intercampus Link path that goes down the hill and under the freeway to Toohey Forest. Take the Baileyana Track connection to the right. After about 500m, turn left on Toohey Ridge Track. After about 1.5kms, turn left on to Sandstone Circuit. Take a short side track to Sandstone Lookout, then continue down Sandstone Circuit to Toohey Picnic Area. Otherwise, just follow the Toohey Ridge Track to the picnic area.
- Follow the path through the picnic area and cross Toohey Rd at the traffic island. Watch out for fast traffic.
- Take the Toohey Mt Track to Mayne Ridge Track. (This ridge separates Norman Creek and Oxley Creek catchments). Turn right, then take Grey Gum Track down to Madang St then Rabaul St. Turn right.
- Turn left on O’Neil St, then right on Tarragindi Rd.
- Cross at the roundabout to Beverly Hill St, then take Tarragindi Reserve Track past the reservoir to re-join Tarragindi Rd.
- Continue along Tarragindi Rd, cross Andrew Ave, then turn right on Newington St to join the Tarragindi Bikeway through Tarragindi Reserve to Laura St.
- At Laura St, turn right and continue on to the path through Laura St Park.
- Cross Sexton St to Barr St, then follow the path through Arnwood Place Bushcare.
- Follow the bike path under the freeway, and the right-hand path up to Greenslopes Bus Station.