By: Rose O’Brien
This 5km walk includes back streets, bush tracks and one of Brisbane’s favourite parks. It passes an abandoned high school, horse and zebra paddocks, and the Passionist Community known as The Fort. The walk begins and ends at Oxley Railway Station.
From the Station, walk north on Ardoyne St. Turn left on Cliveden Ave. Take the bike path down the hill.
- Cross Blackheath Rd, with the old Oxley High School on the left and horse paddocks on the right.
- Walk behind the first row of houses on the right hand side of the road and follow the bush track turning left off the firebreak.
- Follow the track to the park at the top of the hill, and turn right on Fort Rd.
- Turn into the grounds of the Passionist Community (with permission), and follow the driveway past the main house to enjoy the view down the river.
- Back on Fort Rd, turn right and follow Gordon Circuit to the bike/walking path which goes down to Rocks Riverside Park.
- Return the same way to Fort Rd and follow it around to the left. Return across the park to the entrance to the bush track. About 50m down, take the left-hand fork and follow it to where it ends at Eddystone St. Follow the street until it meets Blackheath Rd and turn right. Follow Blackheath Rd straight ahead, crossing Cliveden Ave.
- Continue up Blackheath Rd to Howard St and turn left. Follow Howard St down to Oxley Station.