By Rose O’Brien
This walk follows the walking tracks of Toohey Forest Park, then crosses Orange Grove Rd to Rocky Waterholes Creek, parkland and walking track, and the quiet residential streets of Salisbury, ending at Salisbury Railway Station. A short detour takes us to the Ballistic Beer Co., a lively “local” for the young professionals moving into the area, located in a large WW2 shed.
- Start at Griffith Uni Bus Station.
- Walk up Sports Rd, turn left before the basketball courts and go through to the Intercampus Link path. Turn left down the path and through the underpass to Toohey Forest Park
- Take the Baileyana Track connection to the right, then turn left on the Pultenaea Track. Follow this track until it meets the Nathan Ridge Track. Turn right.
- Turn left on to the Wilcox Track and follow it through to Wilcox Park on Orange Grove Rd.
- Cross Orange Grove Rd to Dulcie St and walk down the street to join the bike track through Russ Hall Park on Rocky Waterholes Creek, in the Oxley Creek catchment. Notice the plantings done by the local Rocky Waterholes Bushcare Group.
- Cross McCarthy Rd and turn right to visit the Ballistic Beer Co. for a look and a drink.
- Back on McCarthy Rd, turn right and cross the creek. Continue up the street (now Cripps St) and turn right on Douglas Rd.
- Turn left on Tamblyn St, then right on Blackwood St. Continue down the street, noting the old houses and the renovating and building taking place.
- At the quaint corner store, now a sewing shop, turn left into Kellett St then right into Lillian St. Follow the street down the hill to Salisbury Railway Station.