By: Rose O’Brien
Buranda to City Walk: Churches of old Woolloongabba
Early last century, Eastern European immigrants settled around the Woolloongabba area of Brisbane, escaping troubled political times. This is demonstrated in the area’s churches. Some of Brisbane’s most interesting and varied architecture can be seen in its churches.
- Start at Buranda Railway/Bus Station.
- Heading north of the railway line, walk up Arne St, left on Toohey St and cross Faversham St to Bank Lane to the simple Latvian meeting hall. This also where the footbridge crosses the motorway.
- Walk down Faversham St to Taylor St to view the beautifully-renovated, Spanish-Mission style St Luke’s Catholic Church.
- Walk down Taylor St, left into Logan Rd, then left into Broadway St, past the striking onion domes of the Ukrainian Catholic Church.
- Cross Ipswich Rd, follow Henry St and take the path through to Hawthorne Rd.
- Turn left on Hawthorne Rd, past St Seraphim Russian Orthodox Church, to the spectacular, heritage listed, Spanish-Mission style Holy Trinity Anglican Church, refurbished after hail damage in 2014.
- At the bottom of Hawthorne St, look at historical Merton cottages, built in 1885. Walk down Merton Rd, past the old Protestant Hall on the right, and turn right on Stanley St, passing the old Woolloongabba Post Office and other interesting buildings – even a closed-down bikies’ clubhouse.
- At the Woolloongabba Fiveways, where steam trains used to cross the road preceded by a man with a red flag, cross Ipswich Road to the closed-off end of Logan Road, and enjoy the old buildings and shops there. Cross Stanley Street to the park in front of the Gabba.
- Crossing Vulture Street, turn left and see heritage-listed St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral, taking time to look at the carillon, housed in a separate small building in front.
- Walk up Leopard St, passing St Joseph’s Catholic Church and the Mormon temple.
- Cross River Tce and turn right along the clifftop, past The Cliffs Café, to a fine ANZAC memorial and the beautiful old stone St Mary’s Anglican Church, built in 1873 in a magnificent spot over-looking the river. Take the steps down to Main St, Kangaroo Point, and turn left, then down to the Thornton St ferry wharf.
- Take the ferry to Eagle St Pier and the CBD.